[Redshirts] Sunday night 10/27

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 02:04:29 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 6:19 PM, Vaughn wrote:
> I have been a local PC tech and Nightclub security for almost 20 years
> in San Francisco. I don't really care about this politics of "what is
> a hacker?"

Noisebridge is called a "hackerspace". Do you feel we should stop
calling it that?

Being a PC tech is not hacking.

What does Nightclub security have to do with hacking? NB is not a
nightclub.

> If I buzzed someone up I always greet them, and I do not buzz after
> 11pm or 10am per consented policy.

someone buzzed him in, i was standing right there. Nobody came down to
check who it was.

> I do NOT get paid to be docent, or literally risk my life at nights
> when I stick around.

if you're not comfortable with the gig, don't do it.

But i agree docents need some structure or tools to help them enforce
policies. not really sure what they would be.... Turning off the buzzer
after 11pm might be a good one.

> As a docent it is total pain in my ass to not know if I just let some
> camper up carrying heavy packs and looking to "use the bathroom" and
> then crash in a corner.

when i left, you were sitting at the front desk, right before that dude
got buzzed in.

> Instead of taking this to newsgroup introduce yourself personally,

this is the docents mail list, where docents routinely report about
problem people and problem activities in the space. nothing personal.

i go to nb to socialize with hackers and makers. nothing personal.

> I cannot read your mind that you are a member, and of course you are
> always free to ask me about myself.

i'm not a member, just somebody who actually makes stuff and leads
making workshops at NB, for about 4 years, like the Theremin hack i
organized at nb over the past few days. I'm sometimes a docent.

I was in the space late because i organized a public hacking-related
event at nb. If i was wrong to be in the space at that time, then i
accept any consequences. i suggest the "member sponsor" not require the
physical presence of the sponsor, which i think has been discussed.

by the way, i do not see the 11pm policy on the nb wiki. Anybody know why?
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Consensus_Items_History
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

--

Johny Radio