[schemers] Installing Chicken Scheme eggs without being root

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Apr 15 05:03:49 UTC 2011

The default method of installing Chicken Scheme eggs requires running
the chicken-install command as root. In general, I try to avoid
running commands that access remote servers and add/subtract/modify
files on my system as root.

Here's a brief rundown of how to install eggs without being root
(change "/home/john" here to be the path to your home directory or
wherever you'd like to install the eggs) :

  % mkdir -p /home/john/.chicken/lib/chicken/5/
  % chicken-install -init /home/john/.chicken/lib/chicken/5
  % export CHICKEN_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/john/.chicken
  % export CHICKEN_REPOSITORY="${CHICKEN_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/chicken/5"

Now install eggs, for example:

  % chicken-install hyde

And the hyde executable installs to /home/john/.chicken/bin/hyde

I added those two export settings to my zshrc, as well as adding
/home/john/.chicken/bin to my $PATH.

FWIW, I'm using version 4.6.0.

John

--