[Sem] scanning electron microscope practicals

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Dec 9 23:24:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:55:43PM -0800, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> The SEM that Mike is proposing to donate consists of two gross objects:
>
> 1. a relay rack, about 19" x 24" x 48" tall
> 2. the instrument itself, about 6" x 9" x 16"
>
> They can be stacked or the instrument can be installed on a workbench
> near the rack.  The rack needs to be kept clean but is reasonably
> resilient, while the instrument needs to be in a dust-free and
> vibration-free environment.

I've exchanged email with Bill, our contact at the storage site; they'd
like to see it moved to a good home but don't have an immediate
deadline, so I suggested late January (23rd) as the move date.  I'm out
of the area 12/20 - 1/9.  He didn't see a need to subscribe to our list
since his interest in the SEM is just to see it go to a good home.

The SEM is estimated to consume 500W while active, so we'll probably
want to dedicate at least part of a circuit to it.  Jim, let's talk
about it the next time we're both at 2169.

-andy