[Sem] Column Liner

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:02:05 UTC 2010

It took about 30 minutes for the operation light to come on. At 20x,
the image was partially occluded by a misaligned aperture or perhaps
dust in the aperture. The objective aperture is still dirty. (we
reused it from the old column.)

As we increased resolution, astigmatism was fairly bad in 'search-TV'
mode. The X-Y stigmator was of no use. Later on, I noticed in the
manual that we did not perfectly follow operating procedures.
Regardless, I'm guessing that we need to clean the objective aperture
with a blow torch.

In 'photo' mode, astigmatism was noticeably improved but still
present. We photographed some images of the round contacts of a
semiconductor at about 500x. Grid lines on the chip were distorted
(pincushion) when they should have been straight, crossing at right
angles.

It would be interesting to measure the aperture's diameter, perhaps
with a laser, etc. The manual states that it can be outfitted with
either a 200 or 300 micron objective aperture.

Thanks for your help with the column liner.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone