[Sem] All in on the mini-SEM?

John McMaster johndmcmaster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 03:09:09 UTC 2014

Heyo,
I haven't followed the noisebridge unit, but some updates on my side if
anyone is curious.

I traced the vacuum leak to the column in my Super IIIA.  I'm having
trouble safely taking apart the column to troubleshoot further.

Over the previous weekend I picked up a small ISI SEM similar to the
noisebridge unit ($500 + drive to LA and back).  Some details on it
here: http://uvicrec.blogspot.com/2014/12/theyre-multiplying.html

The guy also threw in a carbon coater.

Anyway, it has a broken PMT and needs a small vacuum adapter that should
have come in the mail today.  PMT has unknown ETA but I could steal a
spare off of the Super IIIA if I wanted to test sooner.

I also have a *huge* (over 100 lbs) pile of ISI documents (schematics,
mechanical drawings, service notes, etc) I've been scanning in that one
of their retired lead techs gave me.  Maybe this weekend I'll finish the
digitaization process and begin uploading/organizing them.

I have a small Pfeiffer/Balzers turbo pump system I assembled off of
eBay for under $500.  It was chosen specifically because parts for this
particular system are readily available to piece together.  Of course,
it would be hit or miss if the bearings are sub-optimal but I imagine
often times they will be good enough for hobbyist use.  I'd suggest
others looking into the same route before dropping 1k on a restore kit.
I haven't decided if I'm going to attach it to the SEM once it works better.

I get class 10k using a high power Honeywell HEPA filter in my bedroom.
Very cheap and easy to setup.

John