[Sewing] what fabrics can be cut with laser cutters?

Rose White rose at yarnivore.com
Sun Dec 12 23:31:04 UTC 2010

When Kelly Farrell played around with the laser cutter and fabric at NYC
Resistor, she found that it would cut natural wool felt well, but that it
left a brown burned edge (similar to the edge you see when cutting wood) and
the very particular smell of singed hair. Felt made from man-made fibers
also cut reasonably well, but left hard edges (where the fibers had
presumably melted).

Diana Eng did some work cutting out stencil-like shapes from poly-cotton
broadcloth, like that in some men's dress shirts, and got a good mix of
clear shapes without fraying/melting. She then appliqued those onto another
shirt -- the total result was awesome. Plain cotton left a thin brown edge
that *could* fray, but didn't immediately; it seemed that if the edges were
either stitched over with satin stitch, or a line run just inside the edge
(either straight or tiny zig-zag), that it would be fine (depending on the
look you want).

Unfortunately, I don't know if either of them posted photos of the
experimentation they did, or the settings they used. :/

Good luck and have fun!

-- Rose/yarnivore