[Sewing] Making Notebooks on the Industrial Sowing Machine?

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 17:28:01 UTC 2012

Mario,

The term industrial sewing machine is misleading. It does not mean that the machine can sew through any kind of material. It just means that it will be reliable day in and day out when used for fabric. The Juki 5550DL at NB will not even sew threw Velcro very easily, let alone leather or a stack of paper (which is basically a block of wood.). You would very likely harm the machine while attempting to use it this way. I have had to repair it myself a few times and I have a good sense of what it can handle and how it gets abused.

What you need, I'm guessing, is the kind of machine that can sew through leather. I'm not referring to a standard 'walking foot' sewing machine. I'm referring to a machine you could find in a shoe repair setting. As far as I know, it is called a 'shoe repair machine'. It can sew through layers of thick rubber or leather. However, even this kind of machine may not be the appropriate tool for the job.

Thanks to my experience at Noisebridge, this leads me to an observation...

Hacking is not to get away with the wrong tool for the job, it is to create the right tool for the job on your own.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone