[Space] Tether string issue

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 20:10:09 UTC 2010

paracord sounds great.
we need about 300 feet (60 foot tether + tying length + wiggle room)
mer

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, paracord sound like it's made for the kinds of things we're
> doing.  Sounds like just the thing, if not this time, next time we run out
> of rope.  Dunno what Meredith has in mind, but I'm betting it'd be easier to
> find than the kite string she's looking at.
>
> Christie
> _______
> "We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
> scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17
>
> The outer bounds is only the beginning.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM, David Stainton <dstainton415 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> For the ephermerial project I procured a tarred braided
>> (non-rotational) thick twine from:
>>
>> Coast Marine
>> 398 Jefferson Street
>> San Francisco, CA 94133
>> (415) 673-1923
>>
>> However you may not need anything that heavy. I think the breaking
>> strength was around 900 pounds.
>> That is heavy stuff for such a breaking strength. These days I use
>> paracord for almost everything. It comes
>> in several different varieties. Paracord (parachute cord) has got a
>> core of straight fibers surrounded by a braided sheath. It's thicker
>> than kite string but thinner than the stuff I got from Coast Marine.
>> The kind I purchased from TAD Gear has a breaking strength of 550
>> pounds.
>>
>> I know for sure that you can get paracord spools (of 100 feet for about
>> $10) at:
>>
>> TAD Gear
>> 660 22nd St
>> San Francisco, CA 94107
>> (415) 318-8252
>>
>> But also it is probably sold at various hardware stores: call them first.
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> ~david
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I don't think super-thin is important.  In fact, I personally think it's
>> > detriment and it's a potential trip hazard problem that we'll have to
>> solve,
>> > although I think we should do that regardless of the string we get.
>> > The primary problem is we know the string's strength.  NASA likes these
>> > numbers.  We've already given them the ones from the kite string
>> Meredith
>> > found.  We would have gone with what we already had, if we could get
>> numbers
>> > on it for NASA, but nobody could come up with that.
>> > The secondary problem is every bit of the weight of the string will be
>> > adding to the payload.  I personally don't think we'll be high enough
>> that
>> > this'll be a problem, but it's not an insignificant concern.
>> > I really like that stuff that David got for Ephemerisle.  I've cc'd him
>> here
> [...]

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki