[Space] Tether string issue

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 19:04:54 UTC 2010

Ill contact the high line kites people. I need to go to berkeley on thursday
anyways.
I'll also check around with kite surfing folk.
The line i got originally was 110lb test.
meredith

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't think super-thin is important.  In fact, I personally think it's a
> detriment and it's a potential trip hazard problem that we'll have to solve,
> although I think we should do that regardless of the string we get.
>
> The primary problem is we know the string's strength.  NASA likes these
> numbers.  We've already given them the ones from the kite string Meredith
> found.  We would have gone with what we already had, if we could get numbers
> on it for NASA, but nobody could come up with that.
>
> The secondary problem is every bit of the weight of the string will be
> adding to the payload.  I personally don't think we'll be high enough that
> this'll be a problem, but it's not an insignificant concern.
>
> I really like that stuff that David got for Ephemerisle.  I've cc'd him
> here so maybe he might be able to share with us where he got it and how much
> it was.  IIRC, it was pretty pricey, but came on a big spool that we
> shouldn't need.
>
> Christie
> _______
> "We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
> scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17
>
> The outer bounds is only the beginning.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Brian Choate <brian.choate at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Do we specifically want to have something that is very thin, almost
>> invisible to tether? If that is not super critical we have ~200 ft of cord I
>> picked up to use as the main payload tether.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> You might also ask some of the knot/boat enthusiasts.  You're likely to
>>> get a lot more than you wanted to hear with advice, but they can probably
>>> point you in the right direction.  I think Shannon is on this list, but also
>>> David knows quite a lot about low-weight high-strength stuff and where to
>>> get it.  The stuff he got for Ephemerisle might do quite well for this
>>> application.
>>>
>>> Christie
>>> _______
>>> "We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
>>> scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17
>>>
>>> The outer bounds is only the beginning.
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki