[Space] Possible medium/long term goal

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Tue Feb 9 18:25:11 UTC 2010

Agreed, the balloon doesn't make things that much easier for orbit.
The advantage of balloons is that they effectively make the atmosphere
*much* shallower, which makes all kinds of things possible, like
getting the decried small launch vehicles proportionally much higher,
or observations/experiments that don't work under the atmospheric
blanket but don't actually require free-fall.

But when it comes to getting a substantial mass up to orbital
velocity, I tend to agree - unless jpaerospace can demonstrate their
slow high-altitude acceleration trick:
http://jpaerospace.com/atohandout.pdf

m.