[Space] Debriefing Notes

Greg Stramback grog at piratelabs.com
Thu Feb 11 02:13:25 UTC 2010

If you mount the antenna vertically, on the TOP of the payload, your
radiation angle is going to be going upward, away from the ground.  At such
a low power, you'll have problem hearing things.

Also, I didn't see the payload... is it a metal enclosure?  Antennas don't
work very well without a groundplane (unless they're specifically designed
for use without one).

My suggestion: mount the antenna facing downward on the bottom of the
payload.  Polarization stays at vertical, ground plane ensures radiation
angle is downward.  Also, switch to a cheap 19" quarter-wavelength antenna
that costs about $5-10.  That way when it gets destroyed from landing...

If you put two antennas on the rig, you'd need to use different impedance
cable... around 90+ ohms to match them properly.  Better to just stick with
one.

-g-