[Space] Balloon remains

Michael O m at dgmo.org
Mon Feb 8 21:14:53 UTC 2010

I had basically assumed it was over-inflation.
What was the balloon actually supposed to be filled to?

I make it that the balloon diameter at 61k ft is almost exactly 2.5 times
the original diameter.
(pressure at 61k ft is ~7% of sea level, take inverse of cube root).

So it burst with a ~ 18.75ft diameter (assuming we inflated to 7.5ft).
If had been filled to 6ft, and burst at the same diameter, it would have
burst at about 76k ft.

Hmm. Which does imply that it burst early if it was supposed to get to 100k
ft.