[Space] Why the payload was bouncing around some much.

Sascha Tietz Sascha.Tietz at gmx.de
Tue Feb 9 03:35:07 UTC 2010

Hey,

if the bouncing of the payload was really caused by turbulent airflow, then a longer tether should be a quick fix since the length of turbulent flow in a Karman vortex street is basically a function of air speed. So after just a few feet the flow should be laminar again, as in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yB90vno1E&feature=related. On the other hand oscillations in the tether caused by slight variances in lift could have cause the bouncing too ... Anyway, I'll check with some of my aerodynamics friends tomorrow and see if they have any comments.

Really great job with the launch!

Sascha