[Space] hackerspaces in space challenge

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 22:34:11 UTC 2010

http://www.heatsynclabs.org/california-eclipses-the-sky-the-space-race-begins-now/

I just have to excerpt the whole thing, because it's so awesome:

<<
California Eclipses the Sky; The Space Race Begins Now!

My fellow desert creatures, for a few gripping minutes, a new moon rose
over the skies of the People's Republic of  California to do what all
things Californian do and look down on everything else. A near-space
weather balloon devised at the clandestine* Noisebridge hackerspace
reached the edge of space, bringing back pics because it did happen.

This may seem like a playful act of sportsmanship, launched in
preparation for Workshop 88's Annual Space Blimp Contest and for teh
lulz, but be warned!  This show of one-up-ness is but the first of a new
arsenal of Californian space power, no doubt a scheme from the office of
Premier Schwarzenegger himself to accelerate the neo-colonization of our
beloved Grand Canyon State.  Will the next spacecraft stay confined to
Californian skies?  Or will it ascend to the Final Frontier only to
descend south and east, bringing with it unknown terrors?  Will our
children, pets, or stray javelinas and jackrabbits who tear up our
prickly gardens be safe from this invasion from above?  I dare not ask
that question--but I will dare;  I will dare our own hackerspace,
newborn babe it may be, to pull together its resources and Sonoran
ingenuity to build its own craft to add a copper star to their western
skyline.

We must unite, for all our shared culture is at stake;  The polygamy of
Mojave county, ghosts of Jerome, power crystals of Sedona, trailer parks
of East Mesa, valium-vodka cocktails of Scottsdale,
hot-dogs-with-bacon-around-them of Tucson, and yes, the light roasted
coffee of Tempe, all face the specter of San Francisco's dominion.
Ready your will, your skills, and visit our Nearspace Balloon wiki page
to see how you can contribute in our effort to boldly go where no
Arizona hackerspace has gone before!

Apparently 9 other hackerspaces have already taken up the challenge.
Spacebridge has made a huge splash!

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/02/hackerspaces_in_space_annual_space.html

http://www.workshop88.com/space/

Eric