[Space] I'm still not sure I believe it

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Mon Feb 8 19:59:47 UTC 2010

Sadly, yes - the radios that we had were challenging. The launch radio
battery didn't take a charge overnight and was on the verge of death
by the time we realized (shortly before launch), so we swapped it with
the battery from the ground radio. We received steady beacons for a
few minutes onto a handheld radio, and then lost signal. There was one
further peep that we heard from 60,901 feet, which pointed out the
likely problem: -21C temperature, so even if it still had charge, it
would have likely died from that.

When we opened the box, the tracker was still happily trying to send
packets through the radio, but the radio was dead. Luckily, consumer
electronics is made from sterner stuff and happily started chirping
its location via SMS as soon as it descended into wireless coverage...
just as we were opening laptops at Dennys to start the postmortem and
list of things to change to not screw up the next launch ;)

m.