[Space] Debriefing Notes

Greg Stramback grog at piratelabs.com
Fri Feb 12 02:24:18 UTC 2010

kicking myself for not replying to all at first...

as long as surrounding objects aren't metal (meaning nothing blocking the
radiating element's path) then things would be fine.

          |   <---radiating element

______|_______   <--- ground plane

so, obviously, everything that is either behind the ground-plane element is
fine to be metal or whatever else.

but a coax dipole really isn't a big deal... you just have to find some sort
of weight to hang it from the payload with to keep it vertical.  that and
they're easy to make, tune, and super cheap to replace.

you could also use coat-hanger or rods that can be soldered / attached to an
SO-239 (female large UHF style connector), mount _that_ to the bottom of the
payload...

there's a lot of options.  i need to actually get off my ass and get up to
NB to take a good look at this thing if i'm to give any solid suggestions.
 really kicking myself for being AWOL on sunday.  :-/

and to answer your original question, you can attach the antenna in any
non-metallic fashion you can think of so long as the radials aren't bent and
remain perpendicular to one another.  change those angles and you're
changing radiation pattern, tuning, you name it...

-g-