[Space] Heating

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 07:48:32 UTC 2010

So, 555timers are really small ICs, which can't really push that much
current, so you would need to have the 555 trigger some kind of power
FET methinks. Also, resistive heating is notoriously inefficient...

So how about some chemistry? The crystallization of sodium acetate
creates quite a good amount of heat, it whats used in reuse-able
heatpacks! Whats better, is that the reaction can be triggered by
something like a servo connected to a uCtrler that monitors the
internal temperature. We just need to substantially disturb the
solution! We could have several cells of sodium acetate solution, and
activate them in sequence as more heating is needed.

How long is the flight time? I assume you just need to stay above 0C?
Is there data on the temperature history during last flight? Any ideas
on a target max weight for the heating system?

-Joachim