[Space] Launch Video on YouTube

Michael O m at dgmo.org
Sun Feb 14 21:22:30 UTC 2010

I used the DeShaker plugin in VirtualDub (both GPL software I think).

For future reference, steps I took were something like:
1. Download and install VirtualDub
2. Download and install DeShaker.
3. Select 'Video' menu, 'Filters...' option
4. Click 'Add'
5. Select DeShaker and click 'Ok'

6. Change the 'Pass 1' settings to: (you can ignore the 'Pass 2' settings at
the moment)
   Block size: 16 pixels (not 30)
   Scale: Half
   Use pixels: All (not every 4th)
   ...have match value: 250
   _untick_ "Remember discarded areas to next frame"
   Deep analysis if < 25% of vectors are ok.
   Skip frame if < 0% of all blocks are ok.

7. Click "Ok"
8. Selection 'File' menu, 'Previous output from start'
9. Wait while it runs through the entire video. Watch the pretty like white
lines. Drink a coffee.
10. Select 'Video' menu, 'Filters...' again.
11. Select 'DeShaker' and click 'Configure'.
12. Selection 'Pass 2' and change the settings to:
  Edge compensation: None (large borders)
  Tick: use previous and future frames to fill in borders.
  Previous frames: 15
  Future frames: 0
  Extra zoom factor: 0.8
  Motion smoothness:
    Horizontal panning: 1400
    Vertical panning: 1400
    Rotation: -1   (this is the critical setting)
    Zoom: 1500
  Max correction limits:
    All set to 99 except rotation is set to 360

13. Do the 'File' menu, 'Preview output from start' to see what it's going
to look like.
14. If you want to generate an output AVI, selection 'Video' / 'Compression'
to set codec, and then 'File' / 'Save as AVI..'