[Space] aprs stuff

Jonathan Moore moore at eds.org
Tue Jan 26 07:38:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM,  <nils at shkoo.com> wrote:
> The APRS signal is over FM, right?  Don't we need quadrature to decode it,
> giving us only 2 channels of I+Q?

I don't quite fallow all of this... but I can tell you that the USRP
gives you 4 channles in quadrature encoding.

> Or were you tinking of just using the USRP for location finding, and using a
> separate APRS receiver for receiving packets and trying to get the timing
> right so the USRP locates the right packet?  I guess if we're in the middle
> of nowhere there probably aren't *too* many other users to lead us astry...

I was more thinking of using the USRP with some beaken, it might be
that we could use the APRS signal as a beaken but I don't know how
hard that would be. All my knolage on this stuff is highly theoretical
so practial matters may get in the way.

-Jonathan