[Space] Inert gasses

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:45:50 UTC 2010

I talked to airgas and praxair.  They each like to have an account.  They
also have different sized tanks for the nitrogen.

Airgas was $41.03 for N2 and $43 for CO2.  Their tank rental was $0.85/day.

Praxair was $40 for N2 and $35 for CO2.  Their tank rental was $0.12/day.

We will also need to buy a regulator, as these guys don't rent them at all.
I inquired about the low end regulators:
Airgas starts around $130-140
Praxair starts around $90.

Both places said you needed to set up an account with them because tank
rental is done monthly.  Praxair was clearly the better deal so I asked them
about terms.  They said that if we absolutely needed to have the stuff today
then they could work it out with a $250 credit card deposit refundable when
the tanks are returned.  Tanks would have to be returned Monday morning.

So...

1) Is it worth the $35-$40 to go for the fill test this weekend?
2) We're ready to buy a regulator?  This would be what we would want to use
for the helium as well, but not flammable gases like propane, as it won't be
reverse threaded.

Christie

_______
Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?