[Space] Images from Spacebridge Epsilon

Blake Barrett Blake at BlakeBarrett.net
Wed Jul 7 22:54:28 UTC 2010

Jonathan,
    I setup the cameras. They both auto-ISO'ed to 1600 which ended up
looking like crap.
The SD1100IS was the horizontal camera that took the super-grainy images,
the vertical images taken by the A700 were less grainy, but still didn't get
much visual definition. I like your idea of digitally removing the noise.
I think if we programatically restrict to a maximum shutter speed of 1/4 we
can get some acceptable images. I also think that we can get a lot better
hi-ISO performance if we freeze the hell out of the cameras. Maybe a payload
with two dedicated thermal chambers; one warm for the location/communication
electronics, one cold for imaging apparati. The guys at NASA's re-entry
watcher project (I can never remember their project's name) were saying
something about there being a linear relationship between something like
every 10ยบ below 0 you can double the ISO, or something to that effect.
    I think the best thing would be just to get a camera with a better
sensor.

Blake

--
Blake