[Space] Fwd: KML from G1 data

Erik Ebert eebert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 20:49:41 UTC 2010

More information from Ken, our club's GPS guru.

I suspect that the weird stairstep ascent and descent you can see in
the Google Earth plot of the data is caused by the filtering issue
that Ken describes for "high altitude and/or high dynamic flights".
That's a typical symptom.

My guess is that what is going on is when the GPS is in 'ground mode'
and it sees a large change in altitude it assumes it must be a
multipath artifact and tries to smooth it out.  But when the altitude
change exceeds some threshold or goes on for long enough it decides
the altitude change must have been real and it resets the baseline to
the new value.

  -- Erik