[Space] Rocket launch at Black Rock this weekend

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:59:38 UTC 2010

Hm.  People have been talking about a traditional "rockoon" where you launch
a rocket from a balloon, but I've been thinking a lot about launching
balloons from rockets.

What I'm thinking would be that at 11K' you'd be able to start with a
balloon that has a negative buoyancy at sea level, wouldn't you?  Since your
envelope would be much smaller (not having to expand up to 11K), you
theoretically would be able to go much, much higher, as the growth is
non-linear.

What you'd need to be able to launch, though, is all the gas you need
compressed, with a mechanism to release the gas into the envelope (quickly!)
and release the canister when it's been emptied.

So am I totally off my nut?

Christie
_______
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
-- Albert Einstein