[Space] cameras to the meeting

Blake Barrett Blake at BlakeBarrett.net
Wed Mar 24 05:37:58 UTC 2010

Thanks Don.
I've been able to do whatever partitioning/formatting I've needed to do from
my Mac, then I put the card in my Win-box and "make the card bootable" via
the CHDK's project "Card Tricks". The problem isn't that I can't get the
card to recognize it as 16Gb, I can easily format it as 16Gb (Fat 32) and
use it in the Camera, but I can't get the CHDK to boot from the Fat 32
partition. From everything I've read, the CHDK requires Fat 16 -- which
means it is limited to a 4.28Gb partition. What they suggest is
dual-partitioning the card: 1 partition Fat 16 and only having it be 2Mb or
so, then the rest of the card as Fat 32. There is supposed to be a menu
option (on the camera, in the CHDK's miscellaneous menu) to swap active
partition after it has booted up; unfortunately that option never appears.
So I'm trying different things to get it to recognize more than 4.28Gb. If I
can't, 4.28Gb of free-space comes out to ~1000 pictures on that camera.

Blake

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Don French <dcfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try this:
> http://davidnaylor.org/blog/2008/04/problem-and-solution-16gb-compact-flash/
>

> -- Don
>

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Blake Barrett <Blake at blakebarrett.net>wrote:
>
>> I haven't made any progress on re-re-hacking the SD1100.
>> It is currently working in "Space Mode" but as I told Christopher
>> yesterday, it is only reading the first 4GB of the 16GB card that in it.
>> I'm going to work on it tonight here in my "lair".
>>
>> I also tried sending the graph-paper images to the list, but I guess they
>> were too big so I don't think it went through.
>>
>> --
>> Blake
>> blake at blakebarrett.net
>> 1 559 455 7855