[Space] Onboard video

Chris Paget ivegotta at tombom.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 06:46:46 UTC 2010

So, buoyed from our adventures today I started taking a look at what's
needed to get live onboard video from the payload - turns out it's not a
lot.  http://www.hamtv.com/ has tons of info, their section on balloons
is particularly worth a read.  It looks like $500 would be plenty enough
for all the gear to transmit to a perfectly normal TV up to ~50 miles
away (just tune it to a specific cable channel and plug in an antenna).

There's also a lot of work being done on porting ATSC and DVB to ham
bands - how do you feel about live streaming high-def video from the
payload? :)

Cheers!

Chris