[Space] yuri's meeting tonight/ proposal

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:33:57 UTC 2010

Hey all-
Time to meet again to talk about yuri's night stuff. Ill be here after the
meeting.

Here is the proposal sent to nasa, which has been approved.

---
An inflated weather balloon will carry a payload with the primary goals
being to record and transmit live video to the basestation (our booth) as
well as capture higher resolution still images of the event.

-The balloon is a military meteorological balloon, model ML-541A/AM. We'll
be inflating it to between 7 and 10 feet in diameter, depending on final
payload mass.
-We're expecting at most 10-15 lbs of total payload, though we'll be aiming
to build something as light as possible. The payload will contain a laptop
computer, video equipment, and an interactive light display controllable
from the ground.Other than the payload itself, we'll also be suspending the
big noisebridge sign from the balloon which is about 2' square.

transmission: we are flexible, and will work with NASA to use the best
possible transmission method. If you (NASA) have an overall wifi network
plan, we can work with them to either use yournetwork, or pick frequencies
that won't interfere (ie, we can use 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n;
whatever youprefer), but if you have no preference, we'll aim to be using
802.11g to connect.
On the ground, we'd like to have an APRS beacon running to demonstrate how
we can track things via the Internet, which would be a periodic 60 second
APRS beacon at 144.390 MHz.

At Base Station,  we'll be using an off-the-shelf wifi access point with
multiple computers connected to it, ideally including a projector and screen
as well as multiple monitors. We'll also have some large-format photographic
prints. We'd like to stream the event to Ustream or other online streaming
source. We will also have various projects from noisebridge to accompany the
photos from spacebridge. Also included will be our general mission statement
and information about NB.

Tethering:
We'll be using rated 80lb (4 times max lift)  braided poly kite string to 3
tether points. At the three points we will be using weights (most likely 5
gallon buckets filled with sand) that will each weigh at least 1.5 max
payload (30 pounds). The tethers and tether string will be lit for
visibility and safety ( EL wire, LEDs, etc).
However, if there are native tie-down areas convenient, we will use those.
Please let us know about any.

Best,
The NB/SB Yuri's night team

--