[Space] Fwd: Next steps for Spacebridge in Hackerspaces In Space

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 05:39:25 UTC 2010

In line with this I had the most fascinating discussion with Ben (our
resident chemist) about something we could do to cut our launch cost in
half.  He explained to me a way to extract hydrogen from water that involved
water, deep cycle batteries (about the same as a car battery, but would be
more appropriate for delivering a continuous charge), and a salt bridge.  He
suggested that this was not novel and there are lots of instructions out on
the web put together by people that do this sort of thing.

Assuming they don't count the cost of the batteries (which would be silly,
since you're not counting the cost of the cylinder that holds the helium
since it's just rented) this means that we could reduce that $100+ cost down
to pennies, reducing the total cost of the launch dramatically.

What say you we experiment with helium?

Christie
_______
"We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17

The outer bounds is only the beginning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/