[Space] Balloon into space - Brazil

Júlio César Guedes Antunes juliomoc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 00:30:21 UTC 2011

Hello my friends,
My name is Júlio, I'm a computer science professor from Brazil. I've been developing with my students the idea of sending our own balloon into space, in a project that I think would greatly enhance the interest for science and phisics here. As you can below, I contacted Blake Barrett, who gave some good info, and directed me here.
I'd like to count with your help to achieve this goal, if at all possible. I have some doubts about the project and the payload. For instance: here I face a serious problem with cell phone coverage - it's most likely that a GPS cell phone won't be able to send me the correct bearings (or useful ones) on the way down. So, I'd like to use an APRS beacon. The problem is that I don't actually know how this APRS+GPS system works. Could you give a hand?
All the best - from Brazil!
Júlio César Guedes Antunes
www.saladeguerra.net