[Tastebridge] 2010 December, 8th - Notes

TeeTrizZz info at leyenhaft.de
Thu Dec 9 08:00:16 UTC 2010

---------------------------------------
--> 2010 December, 8th - Start: 7pm <--
---------------------------------------

>> STATISTICS <<

    White Tea Kombucha [after 1. fermentation]
        - Temperature        67° Fahrenheit
        - Specific Gravity    1020 -> added 1 cup of sugar -> 1022
        - Potential Alcohol    2.75%
        - Balling        5.50%

    Gunpowder Kombucha [before fermentation]
        - Specific Gravity    1026
        - Potential Alcohol    3.50%
        - Sugar            7.00%

    Earl Gray Kombucha [before fermentation]
        - Specific Gravity    1027
        - Potential Alcohol    3.75%
        - Sugar            7.25%

>> WHO TOOK PART <<

    Miloh, Rikke, Fabian, Alan, Frantisek

>> WHAT WE DID <<

    > Miloh cleaned a lot of bottles in the morning; He presumes that they
should last for some weeks;
    > We sanitized everything before starting with the brewing class; We
should do that every time;

    > We tasted last week's batch of white tea Kombucha;
    > Fabian suggested to add sugar; He added .5 cups of sugar solved in 1
cup of water;
    > Miloh and Rikke bottled last week's batch of white tea Kombucha;

    > Fabian and Rikke cleaned the Kombucha mothers; according to the
internet they should be white/pinky;
    > Frantisek thinks we shouldn't do that based on his experiences;
    > Fabian put the tiny Kombucha mothers into an extra glass with white
vinegar (for cleaning and growing);
    > He threw away all the old brown skin which didn't look very healthy;

    > Alan brought a microscope to check the Kombucha's structure;

    > Rikke brought two pots with 4 liters of water to boil and added 96g
Earl Gray and Gunpowder;
    > She waited a bit too long (bitterness) and suggests to use a kitchen
timer next time;

    > She and Alan strained it and added 960g of sugar and 800g of starter;
    > They added more water for a total amount of 16 liters in each pot;
    > They added the Kombucha mothers to the pots, closed them and labeled
them;

    > Fabian used his new hydrometer to check for the specific gravity
(results above);

    > We tasted the honey cooler; Frantisek says it could be way more fuzzy;
    > We are going to taste it again tomorrow or the day after tomorrow;

>> WHAT WE NEED SOON <<

    > new acrylic tube: Rikke broke one of the tubes for the bottle-filler;
    > big glass pots (~ 20 liters / 5 gallons): the acid liquid probably
affects the plastic pots;
    > test tubes: we need some to use the hydrometer and for other analyses
of our liquids;
    > sanitizer: We are working with food which means we should care about
hygiene;