[Tastebridge] "And finally, the mushroom itself"

Rameen emprameen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:59:53 UTC 2010

When it comes to culture it seems like people are against glazes,
earthenware, and metals... I think it's a question of acidity and leeching
like I'd mentioned before. I wish I knew some real chemistry instead of
having to rely on not-quite-reliable internet booch brewers.

I was thinking carboys would be perfect for brewing if they the taper was
cut a ways to allow sizable entry for kombucha mothers.

As far as Conical brewer goes...I don't know about beer or wine
sedimentation, but I don't see valves or nozzles working too great while
submerged in gallons worth of spent kombucha yeast..

I'm open to information, suggestions, and corrections to the information
I've gathered.

As far as the mold goes-- the happy herbalist site I linked to has methods
for washing and reinstating mothers in a new brew. They recommend washing it
and rebrewing with the same mother with the hopes the mold contaminate won't
transfer. I've read that people start the process with a bit of apple
vinegar to help drop the pH until the mother can take care of its own juice.
I think like most house-hold mold it's not considered lethal, but can make
you pretty sick or give you sinus infections if you inhale the spores etc.
In the interest of health comfort and safety I would personally suggest
scrapping the batch if the mold regrows. I'm willing to help obtain new
mothers if anyone needs them =)