[Tastebridge] tastebridge updates

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:01:40 UTC 2011

hey folks

just want to send an update on Tastebridge activities at Noisebridge!

KOMBUCHA
I didn't go to the market.  Not a long story:  we weren't set up to
go, and the kombucha wasn't ready (brewing-wise and label-wise).  We
have an awesome kombuch-y sign for future events now, courtesy of Sean
C.

Besides, I'm quite happy about not going to the market:  the kombucha
started exploding yesterday, well, not exploding, but it was miniature
kombucha rocketry.  Happy new years!  I decapped and sprayed out a lot
lot of delicious highly carbonated yerba mate lemonade kombucha,
pomegranate basil kombucha, and cannonball grapefruit grey kombucha
foam.  On the up side, the whole thing made Mike Kan laugh a lot.
After getting blasted by the first yerba mate bomb, he was a good
sport making jokes and poking fun at me while I saved many gallons in
the 5gallon carboy kegs.

Regardless of the unexpected work, I had a fun time watching bottle
caps fly(thanks for the heads up Sam!), sanitizing the old kegs,
decapping bottles and transferring the brews.  We will serve kombucha
on tap at 5mof!  This is a lesson I keep relearning:  Lots of juice
flavorings AND priming sugar whatnot make for more explosive brews.  I
resolve to hydromate more, and check on my bottle priming recipes and
see what else can be done to reduce the bubblation; but does anyone
else have bottle priming advice?

SCHEDULE
It looks like there isn't an event planned for this Wednesday.  I hear
that a vegan cooking class will happen next Wednesday the 25th, and
I'm in talks with getting a collaborative beer brew session for Feb
1st.  Beyond that, the dates look free, so grab a Wednesday and have a
noisebridge food hacking talk if you have something to share.

-rma