[Tastebridge] SF Underground Market, Jan 15?

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:09:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:00 AM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Rosanna Yau <info at rosannayau.com> wrote:
> > Is Tastebridge going to table next Sat.? Do we have kombuca to sell?
> >

> Hi folks,
>
> How is everybody doing?

FANTASTIC!

> What is everyone's mission for Tastebridge?  Turnover has been very
> high and I don't know who will show up from week to week, including
> myself.  Can we use this list to start a manifesto of dreams for
> Tastebridge?

I have a few things that I think I'd really like to start at some point (and
therefore, become way more active in tastebridge). Here's a couple of ideas:

1) From the one class I gave, the distilling thing looked like it was a
giant success. I'd like to bring in all my distilling equipment and leave it
as a permanent fixture for use in the space. I'll get it registered to
Noisebridge so we don't need to worry about the Big Bad Wolf (aka the ATF).
Rather than teaching future classes on it, I'd rather have something a lot
more interactive. I'm sure for the first several weeks it may be similar to
a class since a lot of people will be new to distilling, but I hope to
eventually get enough people on board that we start doing something similar
with the still that Miloh is doing with kombucha. This could also be used to
play into Miloh's longterm tastebridge mission as well - we could start
selling fruit and herb extracts at the underground markets for cool kids to
try, donate cash to the 'bridge, and help build a self sustaining group.

2) I'd be thrilled to help out in building an immersion circulator for sous
vide. Its something that I've always wanted to do!

3) If the immersion circulator works, I'd love to then try to build a rotary
evaporator (or something similar). A rotary evaporator (slang = rotavap) is
pretty much a sous vide bath with vacuum distilling capabilities built into
it. Its much better in extracting unadulterated essences from things than a
traditional still since you don't need to use nearly as much heat.

I'm curious to hear what people think. Particularly on point #1...

Sean