[Tastebridge] tastebridge donations

algoldor at frantisekapfelbeck.org algoldor at frantisekapfelbeck.org
Wed Jul 6 11:09:15 UTC 2011

Hello,
Few points which I've "implanted directly to the email".

Quoting jim <jim at systemateka.com>:

> +1 ; if anything should decide funds' allocation, it
> should be the people who donate the funds.
>     when i put money in the jar in the cooking area,
> i mean it to be used for general support for cooking
> and NOT for reimbursement of someone's expenditures.

I'm not sure that I understand correctly to this point. Do you mean
that you are not OK with covering the costs of ingredients which where
bought for cooking? I guess it is the other way around, right? Just
asking because if I buy food and bring it, prepare it, cook it and
share it with others, I would expect to be cool for the others who
were on the receiving end of the production chain to have a right to
contribute financially towards the common budget and from that one the
expenses would be reimbursed, right?

>     i like the idea that some of the money in the
> jar in the cooking area goes to the general NB
> coffer (orange locked box).
>     anyone taking money should be loud and clear in
> advance of doing so and should do so only by getting
> money directly from persons (e.g. miloh's recent
> solicitation of funds for shelving).
>

> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 01:19 -0700, cynthia lee wrote:
>> Hi
>> Yesterday, Warren and I cooked. We decided to split the donations $7
>> to the main Noisebridge lock box and $9 to be held by Warren for
>> projects. we felt two people (minimum) should be involved in both
>> removing funds from the tastebridge donation jar and determining their
>> purpose .

Counting donations sounds good to me, maybe it would be nice to make a
wiki page dedicated to that at Tastebridge web page

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Tastebridge

if there is not some wiki about that already.

>> Tonight, as best I know, there wasn't a project. There were several
>> dollars in the donation jar.

If you are active like a group people will remember and give you money
even if there is nothing happening just that day. Many people get the
food/drinks and forget to give donations straight away or they just do
not have the proper cash and they do it later on or they just put it
in to support Tastebridge projects just because they like it. I could
see this pattern quite clearly during the 5 months of my direct
involvement.

>> I discussed with someone who I have
>> cooked w before that the money could go into the main noisebridge lock
>> box but when I later went to do this, a third person, who I have never
>> cooked with before, objected and stated that he had worked hard for
>> the right to refuse to let that money go there and he should be
>> allowed to determine the purpose of the funds in that jar. He claims
>> to have been removing the funds all along and has been keeping an
>> accounting.

Some of the members of Tastebridge were and I hope still are members
of Noisebridge so Noisebridge gets member fees from us (Tastebridge,
not me now I'm on hiatus, alas). This means I believe that we can keep
as a group money donated to our cause (clearly labelled donation bin
TASTEBRIDGE) and we can do as we wish with them. I believe we should
give some extra cash from donations to Noisebridge to support the
"alma mater". However keep in mind that keeping the Tastebridge
projects running makes Noisebridge what it is, so do not kill the
projects by giving more than you can effort.

What you are going to do with money should be certainly discussed and
agreed within the group. What type of decision making you want to
choose - the consensus or majority etc. it is up to you but it should
be clearly stated. Before we did consensus but as I've mentioned
already before I felt that some people found me a bit a bit dominant
so many times it was just me making proposals even if I was trying to
encourage other people to pick up their project all the time.

>> I would like the group to meet with timely notice (the
>> five minutes notice given for a prior meeting isn't right) and review
>> this decision about the accounting. This was not a pleasant situation.

The meeting times of Tastebridge were 18:00 every Tuesday and were
posted on Noisebridge main wiki. Now it says

18:00 Tastebridge Last Tuesday of every month: Vegan Hacker: Vegan
Cooking Class. More info http://www.veganhackerSF.com

so if you are OK to updated and meet more frequently change the text
or maybe even better make a new post with the date and time for the
meetings to happen (on the main Noisebridge wiki). You can also make a
new wiki at Tastebridge page like "meetings" etc. as I did for 091
brew masters

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/091_Brew_Masters
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/091_BM_Events_and_meetings

it seems to work quite OK

>> I, like others, bring food donations here and spend time
>> cleaning/prepping/cooking and I do not believe any funds collected
>> belong to me and I would like, until we decide on a process, that at
>> least some of the funds go to Noisebridge lock box daily.
>> Cynthia

It is great to see the cooking/brewing/culturing to go forward. To
keep it going you have to shape it that you are happy in doing it as
Jim says the "core has to be happy". So come, meet, discuss and trim
it so you can continue to have fun!

I would not personally worry so much about giving money to Noisebridge
every single day etc. As I've said check how many members of
Tastebridge are also paying members of Noisebridge, that is the first
in come which the group kind of brings in. If you continue in
food&beverage promotion during five minutes of fame that is another
big support for Noisebridge and some cash from that could be dedicated
to Noisebridge fund I guess, right? The free markets are now still on
halt I think but going out and doing the promotional events is a big
help to promote the place and can bring some extra cash too.

Anyway Cynthia and others, best of luck with your endeavours,

 From Galway, Ireland,

Frantisek

PS I'm now planning to ferment ginger to create the kind of "pickled"
ginger which the Japanese put in sushi, I hope it is going to work.
I've also got my hands on some seaweed so I'll try to brew some
kombucha or honey cooler with seaweed flavour. I'll be also posting
soon a really nice recipe for ginger beer which we have developed with
091 brew masters.