[Tastebridge] Oyster Mushroom Status?

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 02:49:37 UTC 2011

WOW!  I wish I lived closer, guys.  That is _really_ beautiful stuff there, and the humidity controller is AWESOME!  The uncooked bags are pinning like crazy, so I guess cooking the bags, at least for this species of oysters grown on recently-used coffee grounds, is not necessary at all.   That might be because the actual use of the coffee grounds was so close to inoculation that the heat was a pasteurization of sorts, which is doubly cool since not only does the coffee shop give you the substrate but also the energy to pasteurize it!   Oh and man that blue is GORGEOUS!  So cool!  We should totally do some pink oysters too.  They don't taste quite as great but they are beautiful.

By the way, the mushroom fair is coming in December and Alan and I will be at the psilocybin mushroom table.  Alan, unlike myself, is a complete genius at memorizing thousands of mushroom names in Latin and has a knack for identification.  I'm more a grower, though, and can answer questions about growing any mushroom.

Speaking of growing unfortunately my Stipticus bags with the molasses-fermented sawdust are not taking off at all.  After two weeks, there still is absolutely no sign of growth in them, so I have decided to see if this mycelium really does grow at a pH of 4.0 in a new liquid culture.  If it is truly Stipticus, it should grow great in it, at least according to the research papers I am using.  As I did not isolate this culture myself, I can only assume it is, as my friend believes, Stipticus, but there could have been some sort of mistake since he's human as much as I.  So far the 4.0 pH liquid culture is not showing definite signs of growth any more than the bags, although it's only been two days.  If it does grow, though, I will once again try to inoculate the substrate I have used before with it.  And if the liquid culture doesn't grow out at 4.0 pH as it did at 6.0 pH, it's back to the agar plates since I'll have to isolate the mycelium from some
 a few commercial wooden dowels I got that do have stipticus on them because I do not think the plate can be Stipticus if it cannot tolerate the lower pH since that's the approximate pH of the ecological niche this species inhabits in the wild.

Roger