[Tastebridge] Oyster Mushroom Status?

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:45:56 UTC 2011

Ahh, sorry for the lack of update. Here's a quick run-down of Monday's
activities and status on the project:

Dan, Matthew, (Lina?), Rameen, Mike and myself all joined in the fun. Dan
brought in about 24 lbs of partially dried-out coffee grounds, which we
inoculated with the remaining 10 lbs spawn - made 8 bags this time. The
grounds were not pressure cooked first, because we didn't have a pressure
cooker. We also did not add any gypsum, vermiculite or spawn mate, so it'll
be really interesting to see how these come out. I anticipate slow
colonization, slightly lower yields, but better resistance to contaminations
and infections down the line.

We would have cooked them if we could, though, as there is a marked
difference in colonization rate between the cooked and the uncooked bags -
the cooked bags are already 100% on the surface (top, sides and bottom),
while the uncooked bags were only just starting to show real sign of
colonization on top. That said, it looks the cooked grounds colonize even
faster than the sawdust, so I think pressure cooked coffee grounds with or
without supplementation will turn out to be our best bet for future runs,
especially if we could get two pressure cookers and a double burner for the
propane so we could cook 6-8 bags at a time. With cooked bags, we could
probably also lower the spawning rate massively - we've been adding spawn to
both cooked and uncooked bags about at 62,5% of the dry substrate weight, so
that 20 lbs of spawn went into 14 bags of grounds,  which is about 1/3 - 1/4
of what we could be making, I think.

The sawdust blocks that got soaked overnight last week have started fruiting
again like crazy. The fruits this time are generally a little smaller, paler
and grow fewer to a cluster, but 4 out of 8 blocks are completely covered,
and the rest are pinning beautifully.

Anyone up for a meeting on Monday to have a look at progress, clean out the
fruiting chamber, talk automation and make a "mushroom watch schedule"?

/Rikke