[Tastebridge] Could anyone pick up some Alder sawdust at Lazzari for me?

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 22:46:17 UTC 2011

If I were growing oysters, coffee grounds would work, but then again, with oystes you can also just rip up a pile of old catalogs or even some old cotton clothes and grow them just the same.  Basically the oysters grow on just about anything and are so ridiculously easy to grow that you really cannot mess them up if you follow the basic growing procedures.

What I am trying to grow now are Stipicus, a green-glowing mushroom species, which is a little more difficult to grow.  They do grow on sawdust blocks, and I will donate a couple blocks to the Noisebridge for observation once I can get them to colonize again.  Stipticus will not grow on coffee grounds, though, because coffee grounds are pH-balanced around neutral and have a decent buffering capacity whereas stpiticus grows well around a pH of 3.8 or so.  The buffering would mean I'd have to use loads of citric acid to get it to maybe work and citric acid can get to be pretty expensive if you are talking pounds of the stuff.

I know alder works because I used it in 2007 in my Glowin Shrooms project on the playa, so I am trying to duplicate that success but on a larger scale this time.

Roger