[Tastebridge] interest in mycoremediation?

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 17:46:09 UTC 2011

I am definitely interested in this subject.  Particularly how does mycroremediation compare to others, such as bacterial or chemical, and has it been tried in conjunction with other forms in the field, not just theoretically?  I did read Paul Stamet's book Mycelium Running, which, while admittedly provocative,  tended toward the anecdotal rather than scientific.  In the book a lot of examples of what can be done theoretically are covered, but really dispersing and getting fungus to work in the remediation of a non-controlled complex environment--say some Alaskan beach--is quite different from on a Petri dish or even Mr. Stamet's backyard in Portland, an area usually optimal for mushrooms.  In other words, is all this bioredediation stuff seriously useful or is it more or less just kind of interesting like in the way of say biodesiel, a cute way to fix some tiny fraction of 1% of a vast, serious problem.

Roger