[Tastebridge] Food at the molecular level

John Adams jna at retina.net
Sun Dec 16 18:50:51 UTC 2012

What you're essentially talking about is Molecular Gastronomy / Modernist
Cuisine, pioneered by food scientists in the 1950's (think: food coloring)
and turned into serious science by Ferran Adria at El Bulli. While El Bulli
is long closed, the techniques live on. I've eaten their menu and I can
tell you it's truly epic what they were able to achieve.
It's continued today by people like Albert Adria (his son) and Grant Achatz
at places like Alinea in Chicago. Wylie Dufresne's WD-50 in NYC is another
fine example.

Nathan Myrhvold put out an outstanding book on this called Modernist
Cuisine (http://modernistcuisine.com/) that goes into the history, recipes,
and techniques  of this sort of food preparation. The book is expensive,
but PDFs are floating around on Torrent sites. Find it.

Here in SF, you'll see some these techniques at places like Coi and Atelier
Crenn. Lots of foams and powers are in their dishes.

I've eaten at most of these and I suggest you make it out them if you can
afford it.

Start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferran_Adri%C3%A0