[Tastebridge] brew beer at Noisebridge!

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:14:14 UTC 2012

Greetings Tastebridgers!

I recently quit my job so now I've got plenty of time to make sure
Noisebridge starts a kick ass homebrew collective!

Firstly, let it be known that I have zero experience with partial mash or
full grain beer brewing. I'd like to learn but I want to make it clear that
my priority is to use medicinal botanicals in our brews instead of hops!

We've got some empty glass carboys already.
There is a largish stock pot. Does it have a lid? Is it stainless steal?

Here's what we need to get started:

- malt extract: preferably a mix of different types to give it nice flavors
- laboratory ale yeasts
- bungs and air locks
- auto siphone/racking cane

Nice to have:

- hoses (these make great airlocks if used with a bucket of water as an
overflow reservoir)
- a sanitizing agent/detergent (although small amounts of diluted bleach
will work)
- a metal strainer (for straining herbal decoctions into the wort)

When dealing with a stock pot with 5-gallons of sticky sweet beer wort I
prefer to siphon it into the carboy instead of pouring it into a funnel.
It's much cleaner!

A couple of the glass carboys have a very wide opening.
I wonder if we could find bungs that will fit.
I didn't measure when I was there last: could someone post the measurements?

I propose firstly we make a Yerba matte beer!
I will buy the matte.

Cheers,

David