[Tastebridge] food hacking base, Kombucha cosmopolita

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 10:35:36 UTC 2013

Dear Tastebridge crowd,
I hope you are doing well in SF, enjoying yourself being a bit more active in your private life than here at Tastebridge discuss :-)

As some of you probably know I have moved after my three months stay in Japan (lwiner of the ast year) to South Korea, where I'm settling down at a lovely subtropical island called Jeju with my Korean girlfriend, quite a change for me :-) I’m continuing to study and produce ferments which are really amazing here, still active in the hacker movement, missing however local hackerspace and definitively Noisebridge and Tastebridge activities. It is the combination of these interests and my experience with Tastebridge which resulted in the project which I helped to found when I moved to Europe after co-founding and promoting Tastebridge and which is in a way an “internationally active” Tastebridge called Food Hacking Base (fhb).

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Village:Food_Hacking_Base

I’m now coordinating our presence at the world renown OHM 2013 in the Netherlands and very importantly our first crowd sourcing campaign at Indiegogo.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/food-hacking-base-at-ohm-2013

As usually we want to serve as a food hacking hub for people who are interested in, giving donation based workshops (no one turned away for lack of funds) and build some infrastructure for our and community use, as before at the last CCC camp like kitchenware washing area and newly hexayurt based cold room

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Village:Food_Hacking_Base/Project/Cold_room

add to that variety of other projects from matelade to vegan cooking and “crazy” Kombucha cosmopolita” (selection of kombucha SCOBY’s from all around the world breeded into one “super SCOBY” - yes you feel “my touch” on this one correctly)

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Village:Food_Hacking_Base/Project/Kombucha_cosmopolita

and you will get the picture. We got over €500 together from the internal group for tent and things needed to be ordered months in advance and set up our basic crowd sourcing target (which we have already reached) at €700 and which will allow us to be present, medium one to €1200 so we can do much more and not to be too stressed and a luxury €2500 to be able to build the hexayurt shared cold room (which is I think a really cool project and personally it will allow me to brew on a I would say medium scale for the first time at event like this).

So this is what I/we are up to. I would like to ask you if you can check the info on our wiki and the Indiegogo campaign page and if you like it please comment, promote and support!

As you know I have done quite a few project before, some of them worked some of them did not. This one is a team project as the Tastebridge was and it took us actually over two years to get to the point when we feel ready to go for an event like this as an independent group, which is a really great deal for us. We are learning a lot from this event and campaign and of course to be able to access amazing source of funding as the crowd sourcing is in the future will be a huge opening door to soooo many projects! At this time the members do not have any financial profit from the donations towards the OHM event but I hope that in the future we can run projects which would actually support the people involved also by cash so they can invest their time and energy in what they believe in and further promote the hacker movement and its funding principles like open access to the knowledge and fair chances.

Thank you very much for contribution of any type and please ask, comment, spread the word and if you can yes contribute also financially!

Sincerely from South Korea and Jeju for Food Hacking Base (fhb)
Frantisek

PS Just to make it clear, I really hope that you will come and join us at OHM if you make it there or 30c3 where we plan to be.

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org