[Tastebridge] first batch of alcoholic ginger beer - harvested

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 09:49:21 UTC 2013

Hi to all,
I have just harvested/bottled first batch of alcoholic ginger beer: 0.5% (w/v) of bakers yeast; 20% (w/v) of light brown sugar; 4% (w/v) of ginger (left in the brew during the fermentation); culture volume = 5 l; and it went OK. I started I on 2/3/2013 and harvested today 14/3/2013 so quite quick. It is still fermenting a bit.  I am sure that I have contaminated it with some bacteria etc. so I will have to keep it cold but the sweetness is fine and it has the kick, no question about that so I can announce a basic success! (o the fermentation temperature was around 25C).

I have started the same batch again but instead of fresh yeast I used 350 ml of freshly harvested ginger beer for the new batch, wondering what is going to happen :-)

Anyway that is a short info about the experiment, I will make a blog post on it and share it later on. The bigger experiments which I was talking about are still planed but it will have to wait a little bit I got kind of busy.

Thanks for recommendations from previous conversations I will get back to them soon!

Sincerely,

FAA

PS I need to get hygrometer to measure the specific gravity ...

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org