[Tastebridge] beer brewing 200-500 l equipment recommendations

Richard Conroy richard.conroy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:17:45 UTC 2013

Hi Frantisek,

    I know some professional and semi-professional brewers here in London.
I will try and summarise as much advice as possible.

The most important thing, is that if you want to make beer commercially, is
that you need to know how to brew consistently. You can learn to brew on
200L or 500L brewhouses, but most people prefer to make 20L mistakes rather
than 500L mistakes.

For a 20L batch of beer, I will probably be using about £15 worth of
grains, hops and yeast. If you do the maths, then a 200L batch is £150 and
a 500L batch is closer to £400. You might get bulk deals on buying malted
barley/wheat by the pallet (1 ton orders), but that depends a lot on your
local situation for buying hops & grain.

To get that consistency you need to brew a lot. Even beginning brewers can
make excellent beers, by keeping things simple and doing the basics right,
but they will struggle to reproduce the results, until they have a lot more
practice. I know some excellent brewers who have a weekly brewing routine,
but have only been brewing for 3-4 years. Personally, I have been brewing
beer for less than 18 months (and all grain for less than a year), and I
still have issues with my process, but I brew less than twice a month.

Many people build their own equipment, and it is very cheap to adapt a 100L
stock pot into a single vessel brew house (brew in a bag system). There are
commercial all-in-one systems like the Speidel Braumeister which go up to
the 200L and 500L capacities, but they are very expensive. However they are
very beginner friendly and have integrated cooling.

You can look at building your own three vessel systems also. I dont have
personal experience of 3V setups myself, so I will defer to others on that
count.

There are a lot of logistical issues that come into play when you start
brewing on equipment larger than 50L. It is now impractical for you to use
muscle power, so you need to consider pumps for fluid transfer, grain
hoppers, electric grain mills, and vertical feed systems.

Immersion chillers (copper coils) will use a very high ratio of water mains
temperature water to hot wort. Every 1L of hot wort, will take 10-20L of
water to bring it down to pitch temperature. There are other chilling
devices (like plate chillers) which are more efficient on coolant use. If
you have a use for the water, like an irrigation project, or a large
reservoir (like a rainwater collection system, swimming pool, stream) then
that isn't waste, but many locations cannot use water in those quantities
just as a coolant.

The best equipment to invest in is fermenters. Conical fermenters are very
practical at fermenting the beer completely, and you can draw off the yeast
cake in a practical fashion - to brighten the beer, remove the yeast as a
source of off flavours, and allow you to harvest and reuse yeast.
Temperature control is a key issue, and another concern is air circulation
- you could get a lot of CO2 build up if your fermentation room is either
small or not well ventilated, and that could be a safety issue.

For recipe advice, use software like beersmith, it will help in predicting
colour and bitterness, and will help you refine your process.

Also, dark malty beers are easier to make than light hoppy ones. They are
more forgiving, in terms of flavour balance and clarity. Lighter beers,
like US style pale ales, and UK style golden ales, have higher hop rates,
which are easy to unbalance without experience.

Best of luck with the project.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

regards,
Richard

http://richardconroy.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/RichardConroy