[Tiny-tux] [Noisebridge-discuss] Pwn yer Phne! Android edition! Jan 15, 2012, 4pm, NOISEBRIDGE!

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Dec 8 18:23:09 UTC 2011

Thanks Mitch,

I would like to add that I want to make this a forum not just for rooting
phones or developing software, but also for making our android phones tools
of productivity.

I would be delighted if people with Android phones who had no desire to
break their TOS would come to learn from us what tools are available to
make their day to day life easier.  People who just want to maximize their
use of email, who want to control their sound system at home with their
phone, who want to know the merits of "ALL THE DAMNED TWITTER APPS,
AAAAAHHH!"

I'd also like to see gamers there.  Our phones put the Nintendo DS to
shame.  What does android gaming mean?

I'd also like developers there interested in how to make their software
better for the community.

I'd also like to the politically minded come and talk about using our
ubiquitous computing power for good and change in the world.  I have 3GHz
in my pocket, with great heat dissipation comes great responsibility.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Here's the documentation from the previous meetup at Noisebridge
> where lots of people (including myself) successfully rooted their Android
> phones:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Android_and_Arduino
>

> Mitch.
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:04:48 -0800
> From: coreyfro at coreyfro.com
> To: Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Pwn yer Phne! Android edition! Jan 15,
> 2012, 4pm, NOISEBRIDGE!
>

> If you can't open it, you don't own it!  How many times have we heard or
> read that?  Doubtless, we've heard it or read it on our most closed and
> inaccessible possessions!   The contracts make us feel like we are renting
> then, but they are ours and they should operate under our terms.
>
> So, I would like to propose that NoiseBridge host a "pwn yer phwn" event
> where people of all skill levels and personalization commitments gather to
> truly make people feel at home with their devices.
>
> I invite people to talk about:
>
>    - Rooting
>    - ROMs
>    - App development
>    - Customization
>    - App selection
>    - Spyware, bloatware, nagware, and how to scrap it all
>    - Tethering
>    - Circumventing all of the above without alerting carriers to
>    violations of Terms of Service.
>
> Among other things, I would like people, before the event, to talk about
> what they want out of their devices.  So, feel free to reply with how you'd
> like to pwn yer phne!
>

> THANKS!
>

> P.S. I need help running this event.  Who's with me?  I need help with
> invitations, organization, and PR.  I am in no Android Communities, so
> android developers, I would really appreciate you spreading the word.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>