[Tiny-tux] [Tiny-Tux] 06/26/2011 Meeting

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Jun 21 18:26:07 UTC 2011

Been working on Gumstix for a couple weeks.  Hope to have 5V i2c working on
my Gumstix by this meeting.

In other news, it is my recommendation that we consider the Panda Board this
more accessible and viable embedded platform at our disposal at the moment.
I am going to continue to focus on my Gumstix, but for anyone seeking a
decent hardware platform, I think $175 is the price of admission.  I have
looked at the options, and it is clear to me that the value of the Panda
boards is their immediate return on investment.  You get something that does
it all, does it well, and is open and supported enough by the community to
get the tools and answers you need.  It's not a purpose built Pogo-Plug,
it's not a hacker friendly consumer device like the Chumby and the Infocast,
it is a general purpose embedded system with community muscle.  At 1Ghz with
two cores, twin 1080p video outs, hardware acceleration for 3D and 1080p
video streams, 1GB of RAM, 802.11b/g/n, bluetooth, ethernet, it's damn near
a desktop computer.  On top of that, it has a huge amount of breakout.  From
an exploratory standpoint, adopting this platform will allow us to offer
something for everyone.

Meanwhile, while we await for something just as awesome, but at a lower
price point, we'll remain open to other platforms, as well, on a per user
basis.