[Tiny-tux] Fascinating LKML flame war
embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Wed May 11 01:28:15 UTC 2011
There is a pretty interesting thread brewing if you want to learn
about Linux tracing and performance analysis tools (and the
personalities behind them).
- Steve Rostedt writes Ftrace for tracing kernel events.
- Arjan van der Ven uses it in the PowerTOP userspace utility.
- Steve changes which events Ftrace reports, and PowerTOP breaks.
- Arjan reverts Steve's change.
- Linus Torvalds says any kernel change that breaks userspace is an ABI break.
- Steve says PowerTOP is broken for not parsing Ftrace output correctly.
- Ingo Molnar says everyone should be using perf anyway.
- Some guy from Google says they need Ftrace and if Ingo dumps it,
they will fork.
- Egos collide!
More information about the Tiny-tux