[tor] Website feedback from someone that's not me.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Sep 16 05:59:34 UTC 2011

Them: if I were to either run my own TOR node or donate to the NB thing,
which would be more effectinve?
Me: Donating.
Them: really?
Me: It's more cost effective, they know what the fuck they're doing.
Them: more impact?
Them: hm.
Them: so TOR has gotten to the point where having a greater number of
end nodes isn't super useful?
Me: We're getting way more bandwidth than you can with however much you
donate.
Them: but rather greater bandwidth of the established nodes?
Me: Well.
Me: It is.
Me: But bandwidth right now is really an issue.
Them: what pipe is the nb tor on?
Them: so ideally I would do both, eh?
Me: And we just opened up one exit node, I think in a month time we plan
to open more up.
Me: 500Mbit or something
Them: ok, so you will scale both points and bandwidth?
Me: Yes.
Them: not just bandwidth on a single node?
Me: If we have money.
Them: ok.
Me: Correct.
Them: wtf is the url?
Them: torbridge?
Me: tor.noisebridge.net
Them: ah.
Them: if I donate at http://tor.noisebridge.net/ is it a donation to the
general noisebridge pot or to torbridge or whatever only?
Me: Noisebridge is dealing with the money and is taking a 7% cut for
bank fees and shit, but the rest goes to tor.
Them: ok.
Them: so.
Them: 1st, you need a name for this initiative.
Them: 2nd, you need to change the "How does it work" #1 point text to read:
Them: something like:
Them: "1. Donate money to NoiseTor / TorBridge using the button below"
Me: The name is tor.noisebridge.net
Them: because I have not donated like three different times because I
always end up thinking "I have given NB enough fucking money."
Them: that's not a name.
Them: that's a URL.
Me: That's the name of the project.
Them: fine.
Them: then.
Them: "1. Donate money to tor.noisebridge.net using the button below
Them: "
Them: because I suspect I am not the only one who is reacting this way.
Them: just my advice.
Me: Thanks, I'll pass it along.
Them: how much are your current monthly expenses?
Me: I was planning to do the website, but they're being all butt hurt
about using php.
Me: I don't know.
Me: I think we got $1500 in donations this month.
Them: You should also include something like "$10 will currently keep us
alive for 1 day. $70 keeps it up for a month."
Them: so,
Me: Well, we scale.
Them: not that I want to or anything,
Them: but between some art group and my old job,
Me: So if we get less money, we shut down boxes, or get rid of bandwidth.
Them: I have had a lot of fund raising drilled into me.
Them: you could be doing this a lot better.
Them: and have a significant increase in $$ coming in.
Them: because the way you are doing it now,
Me: I know, I'm butt hurt about redoing their website because they're
all butt hurt on not wanting to do it any way but fucking simple html.
Them: is not optimized.
Them: sure, it scales. But you want to say that right now $$ buys XYZ.
Them: Right now, I am at the donation screen.
Them: thinking, ok, there is no suggested donation.
Them: that's good.
Them: Now, how much do I donate?
Them: well, I have a lot of money, in theory.
Them: so it depends on how much I care.
Them: and what I'm trying to accomplish.
Them: I think, I wonder if I can afford a week of their hosting?
Them: your fundraising site gives me none of the information I need to
make an educated decision.
Them: The result is that I either don't donate (as I've done several
times now, and I actually know you.) or I donate less than I might have.
Them: also, twitter is better if somebody updates it.
Them: I'm ranting, I know. I'm feeling done with this country and want
to go home.
Them: there. I just donated ten bucks. If this had been done right, I
probably would have been willing to donate up to $100 right now.
Them: make it not suck and I'll come back and donate the other $90.
Them: this is why I'm donating:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/iran-blocks-tor-tor-releases-same-day-fix
Them: your twitter stream is called noisetor. you should call it that.
Me: I know, I know.
Them: anyway, I just tweeted about that iranian block. You guys should
too. That's compelling.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net