[tor] Noisetor Finances

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Tue Jan 10 18:44:37 UTC 2012

While at Congress, I wrote a script that reads the JSON PayPal information
from cha-ching, the non-PayPal donations JSON from the noisetor-accounting
github repo, and the colo expenses JSON from the github repo, and outputs
a table documenting every Noisetor financial transaction.  The script is
running every half hour on the noisetor.net server and updates the
information at:

	http://noisetor.net/finances/

The bottom of that page also looks at our current balance and the time
period our last colo payment provides service for, and calculates how many
more months of colo we can currently afford.  This should make the state
of the Noisetor finances at any given time *much* more clear.

Additionally, by using the PayPal information from cha-ching (rather than
the information PayPal sends in email notifications), we now know exactly
what fees PayPal is charging us for each transaction, which means we no
longer need to use the "3%" approximation we had been using.

Most of the information this script uses is real-time PayPal information
from cha-ching, however the expenses and non-PayPal donation information
lives in the github repo (http://github.com/noisetor/noisetor-accounting),
and needs to be updated by hand each time we make a colo payment, or
receive a non-PayPal donation.  Right now, Andy and I are making these
updates as these events take place.

Kelly, if there's other information you'd like to see represented here, or
if you'd like to see the existing information represented differently,
please let me know.

Thanks,
-mct