[tor] I live in SF and am interested in running a Tor node

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Jul 8 16:40:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 06:10:24PM +0200, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> My only constraint is that I want to be able to administer it, edit the
> torrc file, etc.
>
> I presume you have all figured out the most cost-efficient way to this.
>  What do you suggest?

Start out by running a non-exit node for a year or so, with a
significant amount of traffic.  Nearly any ISP will do, since abuse
complaints will be very minimal.  Select your ISP based on cost and
whatever other parameters you prefer.  You can even run one at home if
you have multiple IP addresses and a reasonably fast connection (at
least 5 Mbps upstream, 10 Mbps preferred) without significant problems.

You'll need to learn the ins and outs of configuring Tor to perform
well; read Roger's "lifecycle of a Tor relay" blog post, and participate
in the Tor community discussion.

After you've relayed a few hundred TB of traffic, and gotten through the
technical hurdles of doing so, consider if you want the additional
administrative and logicistical overhead of running an exit.

-andy