[tor] New exit relay OS choice

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 06:28:06 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Patrick O'Dohehrty <p at trickod.com> wrote:
> Ahead of us spinning up more capacity it just occurred to me that it
> might be a good idea for us to diversify our relay operating system
> setup outside of Linux, as the network is already very heavily skewed
> towards Linux based relays.

There are at least 10x more "Linux" relays than all other OS kernel
lineage combined. So anything "not Linux" makes for a fine diversification.
The "BSD"s are about 1.5x "Windows", with 18 "Darwin (BSD)",
and 5 "IllumOS (SunOS)", roughly speaking.
https://metrics.torproject.org/platforms.html
Being the largest "BSD", FreeBSD seems fair default to diversify
on without evaluating all BSDs.
Unless you really want to take Illumos or Window$ somewhere.

There are torbsd and openbsd relay projects out there
you can find and reference and join with as desired.