[tor] Expanding our capacity in Quadranet

Patrick O'Dohehrty p at trickod.com
Sun Jan 1 16:29:13 UTC 2017

Hey folks,

There was a relay operators meetup at 33c3 which I attended w/ Scotty.
In the middile of a discussion about growing network diversity Damian
(atagar) mentioned that currently the probability of exiting in the USA
is ~13%[0] compared to high 70s for EU.

I asked some tor folks further after the meeting if Noisetor adding more
capacity in our current DC would be valuable; they confirmed that it
would be very much so. Given our recent cash influx I believe we could
comfortably double our current setup and still have a considerable
runway, in the order of a year or more if my rough estimates of our
balance is correct.

I plan on getting better estimates of our current cash on hand but I
believe it's closer to, or over $10k. We also have a non-trivial amount
of BTC reserves which Andy and I will work to liquidate in the near future.

Another thing to consider is whether we could run a high bandwidth
bridge. It was also mentioned in the meeting that the current set of
bridges that are distributed in the Tor Browser are at capacity and Tor
are actively looking for people to run high capacity (150Mbit/sec plus)
bridges to add into that set to alleviate issues.

What are people's thoughts on either of these? I think that if we were
to bring up a new Exit or Bridge we'd also have a strong story to use to
raise further recurring donations and awareness. Would love to hear
further input given the financial implications of making this decision
however.

cheers and happy new year,

[0] -
https://compass.torproject.org/#?exit_filter=all_relays&links&sort=cw&sort_reverse&country=US&exits_only&top=-1